Tuesday, May 5, 2015

New levels

Here are the new levels.

When we implemented these walls, more people played through the levels, and it looked like they were able to grasp the concept more, and hopefully had a little more fun. At this point, in my opinion, game is probably a 6 out of 10. There are a lot of tweaks and changes I think we need to make, but I believe the simpler walls are clearing the way for a more fun experience.


Levels 1-10 look like this, fascinating isn't it?














 
















The dashed walls represent penetrable walls. A red dashed wall means only squares and red bullets can go through it, a green means only triangles and green bullets go through. I like the simplicity of the idea and it poses a lot of interesting design options, like being able to hind behind walls as a fort while your bullets could penetrate. You could shoot out, but nothing could shoot in - except bullets of the same color as you.

Red solid lines meant that red bullets would bounce off the wall, green walls meant that green bullets would bounce off the wall. The gray walls meant that all bullets would bounce off, but I'd like to change this to a lighter blue that's easier to discern.

What I really like about this type of level design is the graphic aesthetic that it lends to the game. I played around with square and circle shapes, and look forward to playing around with additional shapes and concepts. I'm very interested in making a game that is not only nice on the game design side, but also has a very strong graphic design aesthetic.

I used a few things for inspiration with the levels. Can you find Piet Mondrian in there? Also, the number 24 is my favorite number.

No comments:

Post a Comment