Monday, May 4, 2015

Fall Semester Prototype

The programmers put a ton of effort into the game and by the end of the semester they put out a one level prototype.

It included:

  • the tutorial start screen
  • a level including shape changing
  • shooting
  • navigation
    • tapping the enemy shoots
There were, I believe 4 or 5 shapes, if I remember correctly. When I played it, it was the first iteration I had seen where the player could control the shape, shoot, and change the shapes of the other player. 

There was a lot happening on the screen, and it was difficult to know what the objective was, but it was awesome seeing an iteration of the design after so much time on paper.

The programmers showed it to their CS class, and they received some good feedback. A lot of the feedback was that it was a little confusing and frustrating, but predictable based on the prototype. The test did not go how I think we would have wanted, but I wasn't too worried, I knew that there were a lot of changes that we could make that would improve the game. 

One thing that I learned from the experience was that I needed to try to be more involved in the design and development. I had been unable to spend much time in development because of my other responsibilities, and beginning in late November, I started to consider how I might change this.




No comments:

Post a Comment