Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Unity, and source control

For our project we're using Unity. After a short discussion with our group Unity became the obvious choice. Here are the reasons we're going with Unity:
  • Cross platform
  • Friendly to indie development
  • Can do what we need it to
  • Our engineers have experience with it
  • Supports both 3d and 2d art assets
  • Friendly enough for artists

Talking with a friend whose developed for mobile, he recommended using Atlassian Bitbucket and Source tree for its repository and version control features.

I started setting things up with Unity, SourceTree, and Bitbucket. I looked at forums, viewed video tutorials, talked to my friend, and was inching my way through the process. I've never done anything like this and it was all pretty new to me, one of those situations where I didn't know what I didn't know. 

I've mentioned that one of the reasons I came to the U was to get experience with a small team developing a mobile game. Well, part of working on a small team means you take on more responsibilities, learn what you need to and do whatever needs to be done.

In the studios I've worked at it's been a little different. They've been bigger studios, and I've specialized in animation. I've only had to worry about the responsibilities associated with animation. It's been really nice to call on riggers to do the rigging, tech artists, engineers, and IT departments to do what they're best at.

So the progress was going pretty slowly with Unity and version control when Jinghui contacted me with his first prototype. When we met to view the prototype, I realized he was up and running with Unity, and familiar with version control enough to set it up himself. Problem solved. I can spend my time on design and art, and he can handle the tech side of things. I now send him my artwork and he throws it in the prototype. Kinda nice.

I'm sure as we get bigger and move into this more we'll have to implement a little more structured, organized system, but for now, I'm happy focusing on art and design.




No comments:

Post a Comment