Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Prototype as a Published Game

The idea for Flux came from a larger game idea I had some years ago. This game is meant to be a full console, next-gen experience, including many characters, worlds, and multiplayer features. Because of the scope of this game, making it on my own is pretty unrealistic. With Flux, I've tried to extrapolate the key ideas and design elements of that bigger game and abstract them into a smaller game with simple shapes and levels.

Flux then, essentially, becomes a way to whitebox or prototype the design of the bigger game. By making a smaller more manageable game I can focus test the design, and iterate and polish the idea with relatively minimal resources. If I can make it a polished enough prototype, then I can release it as an inexpensive mobile game, get it in the hands of more people and start building the community and further refining the design based on the feedback and experience of the players.

In a perfect world, the mobile version does extremely well, and the revenue generated from it goes to pay for the larger game. This is one of the other ideas I'd like to explore in developing Flux; can you make a polished prototype, publish, and sell it to help you build the bigger game.

No comments:

Post a Comment