Thursday, August 7, 2014

iOS design, movement, and development hang ups.

After thinking more about the movement of the player for iOS and how I want to keep things simple, I'm leaning toward the following design:

The player has constant movement. The circle moves the slowest, the square moves faster, and the triangle moves the fastest.

The left joystick will rotate the player and move him in that direction. He will only be able to shoot in the direction he's pointed. This has been my biggest hangup because I'd really like the player to be able to rotate the shooter independent of his direction. I think it's important to be able to move away from a shape that's chasing you but rotate your turret toward that shape so you can shoot him. This would work fine with console controllers that have 2 joysticks and trigger buttons, but for iOS I don't want the player to have to lift his finger off one of the joysticks to shoot.

I could be wrong, and it might not be that big a deal. I've also played with the idea of tilting the ipad to determine direction. That's definitely something I'll iterate on, but for now, I think I'll take a pass at the single joystick. Here's what the interface might look like:

  

This whole notion has revealed a major flaw and problem I'm running into with development of this game. I'm not iterating fast enough and frequently enough. It's really difficult to design this game and make any progress forward when the rapid prototyping phase is essentially non existent. I appreciate the support I've received so far from everyone working on it, but he lack of programming and technical support and resources has really hurt this process. Not having the ability to test and iterate on prototypes has really proven the value and importance of this process. 

I have a few ideas on how to fix this, and who I might be able to talk to, so hopefully this part of the development can move forward.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment